The HI-KOTE™ coatings family
This family of coatings has been part of the HI-SHEAR Corporation range for more than 30 years. It is used on millions of fasteners across hundreds of programs worldwide. LISI AEROSPACE has been investing heavily in Research and Development, pushing the boundaries of coating chemistry and application processes outwards. Driven by both its strong background and the latest environmental regulations, LISI AEROSPACE has successfully replaced chromate compounds currently used in legacy coatings since the start of the 21st century. After more than eight years of intensive research we are proud to offer the new “green” coatings HI-KOTE 1™ NC and HI-KOTE™ 4 NC. These coatings will deliver the same high performance as previous coatings did and will comply with the latest environmental requirements. This makes them the worthy successors of our well known HI-KOTE™ 1 and HI-KOTE™ 2 coatings, which have been sold in tens of thousands of gallons over the last 20 years.
HI-KOTE™ coatings are primarily formulated to prevent galvanic corrosion and provide aerospace fasteners with lubrication properties. HI-KOTE™ coatings are phenolic resin-based coatings filled with anti-corrosion pigments, aluminum pigments and/or lubricating pigments.
- General use for various fasteners
- Often combined with cetyl alcohol
- Direct Chromate free replacement of HI-KOTE™ 1
- Enhanced lubrication for use without cetyl alcohol
- Alternative to chromate HI-KOTE™ 2 and MoS2 based Solid Film lubricant
Benefits and key properties
- To coat corrosion resistant materials such as: titanium alloys, corrosion-resistant steels, nickel based alloys (e.g. Inconel™ 718).
- To prevent galvanic corrosion between fasteners and aluminum alloy structures.
- To provide lubrication for thread friction and for interference fit assembly.
- To resist aggressive chemicals (paint strippers, jet fuel, hydraulic fluids, cleaning solvents).
- To adhere strongly to the aircraft's external paint scheme and the sealant.
- To be environmentally friendly and be REACH Compliant, new patented HI-KOTE™ 1 NC and HI-KOTE™ 4 NC available.
- To meet aerospace specifications: EN4473, BMS 10-85, NAS 4006, HS294 and HS292.
Distribution and qualified applicators
LISI AEROSPACE has implemented a licensing and qualification system to ensure constant high performance and quality control for all products coated with HI-KOTE™ coatings. Please contact LISI AEROSPACE to become a licensee for in-house application or choose from one of our qualified applicators. The list is available here:
Licensed HI-KOTE™ coating applicators
HI-KOTE is a trademark of HI SHEAR Corporation
Inconel is a trademark of Special Metals Corporation